Monday, July 7, 2008

Wii Fit Review

We pre-ordered Wii Fit, and so got it right when it came out. I decided I would go ahead and post a review here, since I've only really gotten to use it now that we've been in the new place.

It starts out by measuring your weight and BMI, and then it does a couple little tests (ex. stand on one foot for 30 seconds, lean to the right and left to make a ball hit a block, etc.) to determine your wii fit age.

Then, there are a serious of training areas. The first is yoga. This is the one that I use most frequently. I REALLY like yoga, but I have issues making myself do videos and such, and I wasn't able to find a class in Peoria that wasn't yoga+pilates. Yoga+pilates is certainly a better workout, but I like yoga because of the stretching aspect. I feel really loose and comfortable afterward, and it also makes me feel more awake if I am dragging a bit. I haven't done yoga regularly in a really long time, so even the poses here on wii fit are a little challenging. For the most part, they are a nice little stretch, but not overly difficult. For the Sun Salutation, I've always learned it as a fairly long series of poses, including Downward Dog, but this one is very short. My favorite is the Warrior pose, which always makes me feel strong and stable. I do all of the yoga poses that I have unlocked (there are still a lot left to go!) each time I use the Wii Fit.

Next there are Strength Training Exercises. I haven't done hardly any of these. The only one I tried was pushups+side plank, and it was REALLY hard. Pushups are hard for me anyway, but I really think doing it on the Wii Fit made it harder.

The third category is Aerobic Exercises. Ryan loves the Hula Hoop game for some reason, and he's unlocked advance Hula Hoop on his profile. Let me tell you, that is a fun one to watch! There's also a jog-in-place game, and then my favorite, Basic and Advanced Step! It takes you through a fairly simple 3-5 minute step routine, using the wii fit board as your step. It's not an intense cardio workout, but it's enough to make my out-of-shape body breathe hard!

The final category is Balance Games. Ryan loves these. I think they are stupid. Examples include heading soccer balls while avoiding other things that are thrown at you, navigating a downhill ski slope, leaning to roll balls into holes, doing a ski jump, and walking a tightrope. I'm not a fan. I don't think they really have a lot to do with balance. How much balance does it take to lean??

Overall, I think the Wii Fit is a fun supplement to a workout program, particularly if you're interested in yoga or the strength training. There's NO WAY you could lose any significant amount of weight on just the Wii Fit.

Now, I just need to work on the Wii Fit AND THEN walk downstairs and use the treadmill that we bought for a while. It was really hard for Ryan to get into the basement and I've only used it once. Yikes!

***UPDATE***

Today I unlocked what's called Free Step. This keeps going even if you change the input on the tv by giving you the rhythm through the wii remote. This way you can watch tv while you step! Awesome!

1 comment:

ptg said...

I just played the WII for the first time the other night...man, that's addictive! I'm actually *glad* my friend doesn't have the WII fit because I know I'd have to go buy a full system then!