Monday, July 21, 2008

On Feeling Good

I may not be buying clothes much lately, so I don't have as much to say, but I think the effects of this blogging experiment are permanent.

Tonight, I went to a Nestie get together for my new local board. While I'm not proud of the fact that I was pretty nervous, I still think it's pretty damn good that I went at all. I'm not good at meeting new people, and I'm terrible at making friends. Flash back maybe, eh, a year and a half ago and I couldn't really even make polite conversation in classes. So this, this was pretty big, and it went pretty darn well.

To be fair, a lot of the credit for this should go to Ryan. Knowing that I have him at my back (even when he's not physically there) helps me to feel more secure. When I'm nervous, because of this blog I now have an easy way to give myself a confidence boost. If I'm sure that I look nice, I feel so much better. I don't focus on that anymore, which is huge. I don't think I really spent any time tonight pulling at my clothes or wondering if I was dressed appropriately or if people thought I was fat.

It gives me hope that the time in my life during which I only have friends that I've known forever (who I love dearly, but have lives of their own in places I am not!!), my family, and Ryan, are over. It has become exceedingly clear to me that I need more people in my life, and I feel like I am actually ready to seek them.

Another awesome thing was that a couple of the girls mentioned this blog, and told me how brave they think I am. They cajoled me into taking a picture, which I'll post when I get it. I also got to explain the concept of this blog to someone who hadn't seen it, and I was able to talk about it without feeling ashamed or embarrassed, and it was just very cool for me to be able to do that.



Progress is not just in terms of fashion and beauty.

7 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Yay for you, Katie! I hope you make lots of new friends in law school. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! I look forward to your posts and like your writing. You have a lot to offer--I'm glad you realize it too.

Anonymous said...

Go Katie, Go Katie, Go go go Katie! I mostly lurk on MM but you'll see me post sometimes too. I love your blog and empathize with clothing issues. We all have them. I'm sure you'll make friends in school and with your new local nesties. See you around MM.

Jenny said...

Hey...this is Jenny from the GTG. :) I had to see if the new photo was up yet!

I completely know what you mean about feeling very nervous about meeting new people. I am the same way...heck, I nearly backed out at the last minute but my husband wouldn't let me!

You'll do great at making friends at school. I know you will! And we'll have to have another GTG soon.

Insomniac said...

lol - you need to check out my closet. It's a disaster in there! I'm rooting for you... ;)

Anonymous said...

I have the picture! Send me an emial at dimkawedding @ lycos.com and I will send it to you. Sorry I forgot! And you did look nice that night--I loved the top you had on. PS--I was nervous too, I must have changed clothes like 5 or 6 times, that's why I was late!

*Angela* said...

That's awesome! Good for you :)