Monday, January 28, 2008

Who am I?

Welcome to my blog.

I'd like to tell you all a bit about who I am, what this blog is about, and why I am choosing to write it.

I am overweight. I have always been overweight. I've come to the conclusion that I will always be overweight.

Keep reading. I'm not sad.

I have finally, finally, FINALLY reached a point where I'm happy with the way that I look. I've seen myself a couple sizes smaller and, while it was nice, it just wasn't that big of a deal. Plus, I got that way by being too poor to eat in Italy. Meh to that. Meh to any sort of diet again, ever. No, I'm not going to switch back to non-diet pop. No, I'm not going to go back to the atrocious eating habits that I had as a kid. And no, (hopefully!!) I'm not going to start eating my feelings again, or eating because I'm bored. But I'm also not going to be a calorie counter, or a compulsive food monitor, or an insane exerciser. I've been around those people. My dear, dear grandparents are those people, and while I love them a lot, that's not who I want to be. I think making food and my weight so central to my consciousness was part of what got things so out of control to begin with. When food is a band-aid, focusing on gaining and losing weight is especially dangerous.

And so now? I am what I am. Yeah, it'd be great if I could slim my thighs back down just enough so they don't rub together, or if I could tone up my stomach. Maybe now that I am rediscovering free time, it'll happen. Sweet. But am I going to stress myself out over it? Spend my time thinking about it, and talking about it? No, I'm not. I do enjoy going to the treadmill in my apartment complex, and so I am going to start doing that again. BECAUSE I ENJOY IT.

I can't tell you what a liberating feeling this is to finally have. I finally look in the mirror and feel pretty! I can go out and not worry about what I look like! I love it!

But, I'm aware that, even though I feel like I've caught up now, and most of the things I've bought recently are on the right track, my clothes are not doing me any favors. There are things in my closet that I KNOW need to go, that I just haven't parted with yet, but there are also lots of things that I'm not sure about. I'm also not sure how to rebuild. When you've been living on jeans and t-shirts, it's hard to know what basics you need.

From here, I'm going to follow up with another post, setting some basic ground rules and deciding the format for this little What Not to Wear simulation.

Please help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you want the truth or sugar coating. Last year I weighed 252 pounds. i am 5'5", and proportioned but still a chunker. I weigh 229 right now and I am going to the Dr for a weigh in tommorow. I have high cholesterol, and bad history of health in my family.
It is not the clothes, though they help. I would say go to Lane Bryant and get some figure flattering things there. One big girl to another, confidence can not be measured by your waist size. I got more attention when I was 200lbs and confident than 160 and not. Seriously, you need to think about your health and decide what will be best for you.

Katie said...

Thank you so much for your comment! I genuinely appreciate it. Fortunately, I am in good health right now. That remains my #1 priority, and always will. Self confidence doesn't matter much if you die young!

Babeifer said...

Hi Katie! I just found you from The Knot. I love your daring attitude! I love that you are embracing your figure (whatever it may be) and want complete stranger's help in dressing it. You are so brave! Stop shopping at Wal-Mart. Dept stores have sales all the time, and their clothes are made to last longer. Looking forward to helping you dress!

Unknown said...

Hi Katie.

Just wanted to say I think this blog is a great idea and I look forward to popping back in to check on how things are going. Maybe I'll even pick up a few tips that will help me too?! I am also very skeptical about how I dress and cannot for the life of me be very high maintenance for very long. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there!