Monday, January 28, 2008

First Critiques

Tonight I fell asleep while attempting to read Beowulf for school, so there was no time to go through my wardrobe. However, I do have some honeymoon pictures that I can share. I bought a couple pieces from Target, a few on extreme Walmart clearance because I needed some tank tops, and some capris on eBay because I thought they'd get ruined. (Side note: Lonely Planet drastically exaggerates how hot, dirty, and buggy Costa Rica is.) The results were mixed, at best.

#1 - Vintage Style Dress, Target



I bought this because I thought the poofiness of the skirt would hide my lower body. However, I ended up just looking pregnant, I think because my boobs aren't big enough to carry it off.

#2 - Green Tank Top, Walmart
What happened here?? This is a basic Hanes Perfect Fit Tank Top!! But somehow, it makes my boobs look like man boobs instead of nice boobs, and I look boxy all around. Side note - I need to find a casual hairstyle to replace a ponytail. I look AWFUL in them. Ideas?

#3 - Metro 7 Metallic Scoop Tank, Gray and White, Walmart



















I'm not sure if I order the white in a XL and the gray in the L, or what, but the white one was terrible. I have my swimsuit on underneath in this photo, so that's not helping, but it draped very oddly on me. It seemed... stretched out. The gray one, however, was a pretty good purchase, especially for $4. I think one of my rules, a la What Not to Wear, will be to work on finding tops that have length to them. Short tops will make me look wider, correct?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the dress is really pretty, but I think you're right in that it's the wrong cut for you (but it's hard to tell since the pictures are kind of far away). And yes, definitely go for the longer tank tops - not only could the shorter ones make you look boxy, but the longer ones are more in style anyway!

By the way, I think this site is a really fun idea (I saw you're thread on thenest)...good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great site! Kudos to you for doing it. I, for one, know I could use some help in the fashion department, too. That being said, take what I say with a grain of salt... but from watching What Not to Wear, I'm thinking maybe you want tops that are somewhat fitted in the chest but flare out a bit at the bottom... so longer, yes, but also not tight around your middle...? I am envious because my chest is too big for that style top, but my friend wears them and they are very flattering! HTH

Anonymous said...

Here is the general shape of a top I am referring to:
http://tinyurl.com/29rjsm
It flares out a bit, but not so much that it looks like a maternity top.

Katie said...

I do have some shirts in that shape. I'll try to do some sorting this weekend and get it posted. It's always difficult to avoid the maternity look though!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea for a blog! I just stumbled across it...

I'm not a fashion expert in the least---- but one thing that I actually use all the time is wearing a cardigan with tank tops and dresses like that. They have great ones at Target, too, even ones with like sleeves to your elbows if it's too warm. Just food for thought...

*Angela* said...

What I have noticed with tanks-the cheap ones always look bad on me. They stretch out in odd places, balloon from under shirts and generally do not look good. When shopping for them, make sure they have spandex in them, it helps them keep their shape better. Old navy has great long tanks, but I have to be careful about tugging them down because they tend to stretch on me. But as far as length goes, they are awesome, and inexpensive.
Some of my best long tanks came from Target, though. They were I think 5% spandex, and they keep their shape all day.