Monday, January 28, 2008

Rules of the Road

Okay, here's the goal of this exercise:

I want a closet filled with clothes that make me look and feel good. I have learned that I feel better when I look better. Period. This is about me. My husband loves me no matter what, and so do my family and friends. I want a look that expresses my newfound confidence all the time, and professionalism and competence in a work setting. I am especially incompetent in the world of accessories. When do you match? When do you coordinate? When can you throw in bold colors? I haven't the faintest idea.

Because I admit that I know next to nothing about what I am doing, I am leaving myself fairly open to the general public (though I must admit I'll weigh the opinions of those I know IRL a bit more heavily). However, there are a few ground rules that I'd like you to keep in mind when you are helping me make decisions, in order for this to not be completely futile.

1) I'm relatively poor. I'm willing to spend some money on higher quality items, but if I'm going to do so, they need to be versatile items - good jeans, good work pants/jackets/pantsuits, at least one really good bra, etc., not a tank top, or a non-black or -brown pair of shoes, or a purse (I will NEVER understand purses that cost upwards of $50 - sorry. I'm not really looking to change that!).

2) I don't know how to be high maintenance. If it isn't comfortable, it's going to sit in my closet. Shoes are an exception, within reason. I don't expect them to feel like tennis shoes, but I don't want to break my ankle either. I also don't do dry clean only for anything but say, coats. I just can't handle it. Sorry!

So, within the next week, I am going to start going through my clothes. I'm going to try to post pictures of the worst of the worst, for entertainment, and also things that are questionable. Because of the wedding and the honeymoon, I'm not in a position to buy new things right now, so we'll make this the weeding out phase!

No comments: