Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Okay, okay...

So maybe I was overthinking the whole thing. Crap, that means I'm nervous and not admitting it. Never a good sign!! I'll be taking your advice and looking for a button down shirt or nice sweater. And, by the way, I would NEVER, EVER mention my scholarship to classmates or professors. I'm an anti-brown noser by nature, and I'm rarely competitive. I think I was just seeking a justification for my nerves. Damn unnecessary nervousness!

In my defense though, I think my hometown has a bizarre set of dress codes. Or maybe I'm just interpreting them oddly. I don't know. But I don't really know anyone who would wear anything but jeans in a casual setting - which is why I've always bought jeans that were $15-20. That's what you have to do when you need several pairs!! So, in my mind, khakis bump it up a notch to make it work appropriate - business casual. And then nicer slacks or a nice skirt makes it business wear, and suits and things of that nature are formal business wear. But I'm thinking perhaps it doesn't work in the real world the way it does in my head. I think I'm probably so confused because I spend 2 days a week at school, where anything goes, and then 3 days a week at the office, where, well, kind of anything goes! People wear the full range from khakis to suits, depending on the day and their age.

It's going to be very hard for me to adjust to not working, and just going to school next year. I haven't done that in a LONG time! It also means that I'll need to adjust my shopping strategy. While I need to wear nice clothes to work, I'll only be working until we move, which could be any time between May and August, and then I won't need a lot of work clothes. So I think I should focus on redefining casual. Shirts like the one Anonymous posted at 4AM (4AM?? Get some sleep already! :-P) with jeans or other casual pants are what I'm thinking.

A question - what was so bad about the printed jacket? Or was it just bad for the occasion? I kinda liked it, and I thought it would break up some solid black.

These are the new flats that I bought:
They hurt like hell!! I bought them about a 1/2 size too small, because they were seriously $3 at Kohl's. I think once they are broken in they'll be just fine, but tonight I'm nursing blisters! The good thing is though that they didn't hurt my arches. I'll have to see if I can find a reason why these didn't hurt when so many flats do.

This is the purse I bought:
It's a slightly brighter blue than the picture shows. I really like it! I think I'd like another spring purse that's a little toned down, but for $10 I think this one is great. Plus, getting me to use color is always a victory. What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good--I didn't think you were a brown noser. :) Law school can seriously f* w/ your head and your self-confidence, so before you start, get really comfortable with who you are, why you're there, and what you want to get out of the experience. (I loved law school and I totally don't mean that to sound scary!)

Anyway, back on the clothes. $3 on shoes that hurt is $3 you could have saved toward a pair of $50 shoes that would fit and would last and would not look cheap. It took me a long time to learn that throwing my money at cheap stuff that kinda fit and kinda worked so I'd have a lot of clothes in my closet was a Bad. Bad. Bad. Idea. ONE awesome suit is better than ten crappy ones. ONE pair of comfortable and stylish heels is better than ten pairs of shoes that hurt or that look cheap. And it's much easier to get away with a cheap suit than it is to get away with cheap shoes.

Love the purse though!

And thinking about different dress styles and levels of formality. I've never heard of "business" as distinct from "formal business" except on your blog. "Business" dress is business dress and it always always always means a suit. In law school, you will need one or two suits, tops--I found that buying both the skirt and the pants to go with one jacket was very smart. You wear that for job interviews and if you go to court during your summer internships.

Business casual means a step below business--I typically wear black or gray pants, sweaters, button downs, and/or pinstripe skirts.

Casual *can* vary based on the setting. If you're allowed to have casual Fridays at work, for example, that would mean nice khakis or good jeans--i.e. not jeans that are worn out--with polos or button down shirts or maybe a less conservative print than during the week. You can also think "dress casual" for going out for drinks on the weekend or sitting around at home or going grocery shopping. Each of those settings has a slightly different meaning of casual for me and I think most people.

The black-and-white jacket....eh, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was kind of loud for the legal world I know. I think you can do better if that's the kind of piece you're looking for.

Now please, please throw out those cheap shoes that hurt you! $3 patent leather is not going to stretch and give you the kind of breaking-in that better quality leather would. Apologize to your blistered feet and try to tell them you won't do that to them again. ;)

weezermonkey said...

The printed jacket was matronly. For this reason, I would say "nay" in general, no matter what the occasion. For this particular occasion, it was also far too loud and busy. Finally, large prints make one look larger. In light of this, I personally tend to shy away from such things.

Khakis are most definitely NOT "business casual." Yeesh. Khakis are casual.

"Business" is always a suit. Anything less than that -- even just slightly less -- is "business casual." Comprende? Your mistaken notion of "business" is, in fact, "business casual." There is no such thing as "formal business." That's just as silly as the nonexistent "informal business."

Those shoes are Satan. $3 or not, you shouldn't buy things that don't fit.

Keep at it, Katie. It's going to get better, I promise. I really think you're overanalyzing this whole law thing. The bottom line is that law school is still school. Of course dressing appropriately is important to your law career. But that's your career. I maintain that what you wear to class bears zero impact on your career.

My honest opinion? This little reception means jackshit. Don't show up looking like a slob, have some drinks, chat a few people up, and move on.

Your clothes aren't going to matter until interview time.

Anonymous said...

LOL Here I am again! The anonymous 4am poster! Okay, here are some good examples of how to define each type of clothing, and they are all from the same store.

Casual Top: http://tinyurl.com/2mjhcj

Casual Pants : http://tinyurl.com/2mc7lr

Business Casual Top: http://tinyurl.com/2jodje

Business Casual Bottoms: http://tinyurl.com/37u2yg

Business Wear Top : http://tinyurl.com/36a5r8

Business Wear Bottom: http://tinyurl.com/3a5rex

Formal Business Top:http://tinyurl.com/2kb7yz

Formal Business Jacket: http://tinyurl.com/2qoouh

Formal Business Bottom: http://tinyurl.com/35685w

I think something that might help you with trying to find the right types of clothing, would be to check the store's online site before you go. Online, clothing is generally grouped into catagories, whereas in the store, it can be all mixed together. At least then you have an idea of what's really appropriate for what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

Unlike some of the other poster, I haven't been to law school. However, I think it's normal to be a little nervous whenever you're going through a transition. Don't beat yourself up about it. You're going to be great!

Yes, I think you were confused about dress codes. I am sure I would have made some of the same mistakes before I was really in the business world too. As usual, I defer to Weezer's explainations.

Ouch for your feet! Don't buy shoes that are too small (or too big) for you anymore. They will never be comfortable, no matter how good a "deal" you got. As I posted before, patent leather is hard to break in, so do yourself a favor and buy the correct size.

Just to clarify, I bought $3 shoes (orignally $60) at Kohl's once too, but they fit me. I have no delusions. The quality is marginal. I only wear them when I am concerned about ruining my nice shoes in snowy/salty/etc. conditions. Despite the price, I somewhat regret the closet space they take away.

The purse is cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie. Congrats on the scholarship! I'm a first year law student and let me assure you...at school clothes mean very little. I wear jeans pretty much everyday to class :) so wear something comfortable that makes you feel good. Like the other gals said, you prove yourself in the classroom not by what you're wearing to a cocktail party!

Definately buy at least one quality suit you love. It should make you feel confident. I have a black skirt suit from Ann Taylor that I've already worn for interviews and trial competitions. Sure it was expensive, but it was definately worth it. Plus think about the number of times you will wear it.

LOVE the purse! Super cute.

The shoes - get rid of them. The last thing you need to think about is how much your feet hurt!

Good luck...I love your blog :)

~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie,

I'm not loving the print jacket because I think it's an "old" look for you and you're young and adorable, so why age yourself? I really like the black/purple suit from Newport News. You want something polished for this occasion and the suit is professional, but still kind of funky.

And, if I remember correctly, in "Legally Blonde," all the law students wore to class were jeans and tweeds.