Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lots of Things to Consider

Thanks again for all the feedback! I love hearing everything you have to say! Keep it coming! I have lots of things to discuss today, so hopefully I can generate even more feedback, to help me, entertain you, and maybe even help others!

1) What I wore today:



I thought I looked nice when I left the house, but now I'm not so sure. It was a little better than it looks in some of the pictures, because for some reason these pants slip down. They were smooth most of the day, like in the last photo. This is something a tailor would fix, yes?

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I am just not photogenic!! My other theory is that I'll have to be careful about shirts like this, because the seam is a bit lower than it should be. That's all I have. Or maybe I look better than I think I do, since I didn't do very well capturing the outfit unbunched. What do you think?

Another concern was that perhaps I should have picked either the necklace or the earrings. Was it too much?

This necklace and earrings I bought last night at Claire's, along with a couple other things:

The second pair is actually red. Like, fourth of July red. This leads me to the biggest question I'd like to work on: color.

How do you pick colors? How do you know what colors look good on you? Do colors that don't work as a top, for example, work for accessories (a pertinent concern, as I now have red shoes and red earrings, and wearing red generally washes me out)?

I am not only clueless with color, I am afraid of it. I even suck at picking out nail polish colors that look good, for heaven's sake! I am wearing a latte color right now that I thought would look great that actually looks really strange. Lipstick too. I buy lots of lipsticks, but many of them I am afraid to wear. I think they look good when I leave the bathroom, but by the time I arrive at work I usually have wiped it off or tempered it with a lighter color. I just get nervous!!! The same applies with tops that aren't a shade of blue, black, brown, or gray.

I've never been able to make sense of the whole season of colors thing. I have no idea what color undertones I have! Anyone able to offer any guidance?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is an awesome idea! Personally, I think you look very cute in this outfit. And I love the earrings and necklace combo - I think they go well together.

Babeifer said...

You look great today! I love the peek-a-boo cami under the wrap shirt, very flattering! The jewelry is fine. I won't be too big a help on colors, but I think the small splashes (red earrings, shoes, bag...) would look great with neutral outfits. Lookin' good!

*Angela* said...

I love your top/cami/necklace. All great choices, and they look fantastic together. One thing to help with bunchiness in the shirt: get a satin cami. The cami you are wearing (which is adorable, btw) is probably making the pink shirt stick to it, causing alot of bunches (i have that problem all of the time!). The shirt wouldn't stick as bad to a satin cami.
I'm not sure about the pants. The color looked great with your outfit, but maybe the cut is not right for you?
The red earrings are cute. I think they would be fun with black slacks, your red shoes, and a white top with black stripes or polka dots.

Anonymous said...

You looked cute today! I like how you mixed the cami with the top and the necklace was perfect with the outfit.

You said that you didn't think you were photogenic - if you feel this way this I suggest doing this - start practicing taking pictures of yourself to find your best angles and how to stand to get your best photos, yep it sounds really, really vain and self centered but I promise you when you find out how to hold your head to best flatter yourself in a picture you will be so thankful that you practiced.

I am not for sure I understand what you are asking about the colors? Maybe I need to go back read your post

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie!
Yay! The necklace and earrings were great together. Love the necklace, especially. I also love those red earrings.

This is a cute top. And yes, the pants are not great--they don't work with your body if they're slipping, and the goal is to find clothes that work with your body rather than clothes that try to make your body something it isn't. You're right that a tailor can help.

Color. This isn't as hard as you think--you just need to be aware of what to use for inspiration. Right now on my desk is a bag from Starbucks and a bottle of Arrowhead water, so I'll use those as examples. Just stay with me. :)
The Starbucks bag is regular grocery-bag brown--you could call it camel or latte if you're thinking about clothes. The Starbucks label is that dark green with black. And there you have three colors that you can wear together--translated to clothes: You could do a camel dress with green earrings and bracelet and a black bag. Or you could do a green sweater with black pants and a camel and black beaded necklace. Etc.

Moving to the water bottle we have a bigger challenge. The label is a maroon color with a blue mountain snow scene and white lettering. How to wear red, white, and blue without looking like the fourth of July? Dark blue jeans, creamy ivory v-neck sweater, your red earrings and shoes. Or a red dress with a wide white belt and thick blue earrings.

To extrapolate, look at how colors are used by others and then mimic it. You can start slowly--you don't want to be looking like Rainbow Brite, after all. :) If you generally have a dark wardrobe, adding "pops" of color with shoes and necklaces and purses could feel more comfortable until you're ready for something more.

Finally, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY color that wouldn't work with dark blue jeans. Except navy. Please don't wear blue with jeans....too much.

Again, love the necklace. :)